Dear friends & neighbors,
Thanks to some very persuasive residents and community leaders, I have decided to run for Michigan State Senate in the 4th District.
For the past five years, I have worked hard to elevate the voices of our community in a unique and powerful way, exemplified by creating one of the strongest constituent services programs in the state—my local Neighborhood Service Center.
Although my hard work in Lansing is significant, I am most proud of the accomplishments of the neighborhood service center because it is about improving the lives of people right here at home. The service center:
- Helped over 400 families save their homes from tax foreclosure
- Increased access to weatherization programs to over 250 families
- Stopped utility shutoffs for hundreds of families
- Gained better city services for thousands of residents
- Provided free tax preparation services to over 1,500 families, bringing in over $1 million in refunds that refueled our local economy
- Promoted childhood literacy by distributing over 20,000 free books.
- Increasing resources available to local block clubs by obtaining over $25,000 in public safety grants.
- Connected hundreds of our youth with college admissions representatives and assisting graduating seniors with their financial aid applications
I am fully committed to providing strong representation, and serve as a forceful voice in the Michigan State Senate, for the residents who elect me. As my advocacy and legislative record demonstrates, my work ethic and principles are unwavering in the face of corporate interests and political lip service that does not put our community first. I will remain steadfast to the values of fairness and justice, even when special interest groups such as the Ambassador Bridge Company, or the billionaire Koch Brothers, try to take advantage of our families.
As your State Senator, I will expand the work I have started to serve more families and demand we get our fair share of resources to make our neighborhoods cleaner and safer…because we deserve no less.
"Rashida…has an unshakable work ethic and visibility in her district that makes her an indispensable member of the House." Detroit Free Press July 15, 2012
"There's no harder worker or stronger voice for her constituents than two-term veteran Rashida Tlaib, who goes the extra mile with a neighborhood center where thousands have been helped with issues ranging from tax preparation to utility shutoffs." Detroit News, July 2012
Copyright © 2013 Rashida Tlaib for Senate, All rights reserved.
We thank you for your time.
Our mailing address is:
Rashida Tlaib for Senate